As the song goes…’the most wonderful time of the year’. Thought I’d jot down
some many of my favorite things / traditions.
- Christmas Lights – we didn’t have outdoor lights at our house growing up. I picked it up when I move to Dallas. I guess because it is so warm down there everyone puts lights up and there are some amazing decorations. Each year in NJ I see more and more lights…I just love driving around and seeing what everyone has done.
- Christmas Movies / Shows): A Christmas Story, It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street (the original), Bishop’s Wife, Christmas Vacation, Thin Man (starts off during Christmas), All Creature’s Great and Small (Chrismas Show), The Year withouth a Santa Claus, Rudolph and of course the Grinch. I’m sure there are many more…I watch a lot of them in December.
- Toys for Tots: I love going shopping and buying gifts for kids in need. A great way to give back. Click on this link for more details: http://www.toysfortots.org/
- Baking Christmas Cookies: I love doing this but haven’t done it the last couple of years as I like to make a lot to give to friends and family. Here are the list of family favorites: Choc Chip, Snowflakes (cream cheese press cookies), Oatmeal (the dough is better than the cookie), English Shortbread, No Bake Cookies, Hershey Kiss, Coffee Bean.
- A blazing fire and my Christmas Tree
- Midnight Mass – I haven’t been to a midnight mass in quite a few years as I’ve been going Christmas morning. I may get to go to Midnight this year…I just always enjoyed it at home. Maybe I’ll even make myself a grasshopper after mass (a tradition from my Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop).
- Decorating the Tree. I love looking at the ornaments and remembering where I got them or who gave them to me…each one has a memory. Many of the ornaments on my tree were hand made by my Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop (I split their ornaments between my brother and I with my Mom-Mom supervising making sure it was a fair split 🙂 ).
- Christmas Dinner at my house. This will be the third year at my house. It is very low key – just the 7 of us.
- Hanging out with my niece and nephew while their parents go out shopping.
- Christmas Candles – just love lots of the wonderful scents.
- Finding that perfect gift (I dislike wrapping)
- Buying my brother and I the Swarvoski Annual Christmas Ornament – it has become a tradition (I try to find a fun way to wrap it each year). Check out this year’s ornament: http://tiny.cc/mi6ql (I purchased mine from Amazon and in the past e-Bay).
- NYC at Christmas time…just love seeing all the sights and people watching
- Christmas Carols – and yes as a kid I went caroling – even as an adult when I lived in Texas.
What are your favorite Christmas / Holiday traditions?