One of my goals for week 3 of the Spring Transformation is to drink 2 – 3 green smoothies. I made a batch of about 3 yesterday to store for the week.
Here is what I included:
- 1 cup of coconut water (Organic – Unsweetened)
- 3 cups of coconut milk (Unsweetened)
- 3 – 4 large handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 T raw cacao powder (Navitas Naturals) (probably should’ve added more)
- 3 T raw almond butter (Trader Joe’s Raw)
- 2 T Organic Flax Seed
- 1 T natural peanut butter
- 1 -2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 packet of Sweet Leaf (stevia)
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- You could add berries or a banana if you like. Berries are low glycemic and better option than a banana as they are higher in sugar. I didn’t add the fruit as I seem to be very sensitive to the sugar.
I use a vitamix so it does a nice job of blending. I added the first 3 ingredients first to blend it all together. Next I added the rest and blended until nicely mixed. It is not a pretty color at all – I thought the raw cocoa would make it look like chocolate (it did not).
I poured into shaker bottles and stored in the refrigerator.
I had my first one today – about 12 ozs. Since I was having it pre-workout, I did add more water, ice cubes and 1 scoop of Sun Warrior Chocolate vegan protein mix. My workout was at 7:00 pm. I normally have my pre-workout shake about 45 – 30 minutes before my workout. Since there are a lot more ingredients in this smoothie I had it about an hour ahead of time. I was a bit draggy today and I did have a good workout (I’m thinking this had something to do with it). Guess I will see later this week as I will alternate between my normal shakes and this green smoothie.