In our family there is a present we all receive – it isn’t an expensive gift. It is a gift of time and tradition. It is a treat from my childhood and it was made for special events. I think the first version of it was the Chex mix that my grandmother made. And at some point became the Crispix Mix. A nice savory treat.
I’m not quite sure when my Mom started giving it to us as one of our gifts. I do know she has expanded as to who receives one. There isn’t just one for each household – each member of each household gets their own tin. And it is coveted! 🙂 This year my Mom added an additional one a House Mix – for the family hosting Christmas (and for sharing with guests). It was yummy as usual (recipe posted below).
Crispix Party Mix (Xs 2)
- 3 T margarine or butter (my Mom uses margarine, but I’ve asked her to try unsalted butter for next year) (although if I only have a portion of 3T of margarine a year – I don’t think it will kill me)
- 1 t Season-All Seasoned Salt
- 2 t lemon juice
- 4 t Worcestshire Sauce
- 6 Cups Crispix Cereal
- 1 Cup Pretzels
- 1 Cup Salted Mixed Nuts
- Melt margarine or butter in a 13x9x2 inch pan in a 250 degree oven. Once melted remove from oven. Stir in Season-all, lemon juice and Worcestshire Sauce.
- Add Crispix, Pretzels & Nuts – stirring until coated.
- Bake at 250 degree for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on absorbent paper to cool (brown paper bages work well).
- Yields 8 cups