Every summer for the past 5 years I’ve been coming to the Jersey Shore for two weeks. The last 4 years to the same house at 52nd and Asbury in OCNJ. I love it – it is a block and the half from the beach and for the price of a week of beach front property I get 2 weeks – because 1 week at the Jersey Shore just isn’t enough.
My brother and his family spend a lot of time in OCNJ too and we both like to keep it local when we are down at the shore – no chains (so no WAWA, Dunkin’ Donuts and now Starbucks (although they do have a walk up window) coffee on vacation weeks)! Here are some of my favorite places and spaces (in no particular order):
- A la Mode Ice Cream Parlor – homemade ice cream with waffles – and they took the Penn State Short Course in Ice Cream Making. 🙂
- Hula Grill – On the boardwalk – Firecracker Shrimp – Yum
- Sack o Subs – My Mom and I split an Italian as our first food on the island (55th Street location)
- Brown’s – the best homemade donuts – my Mom’s favorite
- Mildred’s – known for their Crab Imperial – their homemade pasta side is yummy too
- La Fontana — BYOB in Strathmere
- Kessel’s Korner — Old time 1950’s style restaurant / ice cream parlor – everything is red and white.
- Charlie’s Bar – In Somer’s Point – great BBTs (boneless buffalo tails in tail gun sauce) – great on a Cobb Salad
- The Lobster House — Lobster Bisque – Yum!
- Peter Shields Inn — BYOB in Cape May – Great food – great location – a nice evening out.
- Kohr’s Custard — Vanilla Cone with Chocolate Jimmies
- Shriver’s – The only Salt Water Taffy made in OCNJ
- 52nd Street Beach — Where you will find me most days on my vacation with a nice glass of iced coffee with or without some whipped cream vodka! 🙂
- Pie Girl – Available at the OCNJ Wednesday’s Farmer’s Market – great story – all proceeds benefit the Atlantic County Food Bank (and Pie Girl is still in high school). The Blueberry Crumble is my fav!
- Tuckahoe Brewing — my brother found this place. You can get samples and get a growler. It was fun riding out in the jeep. They make a winter brew using Harry Beans coffee below that I’m sure is awesome – maybe I’ll get to try sometime.
- Harry Beans Coffee – awesome coffee beans. Would love to see them on the south end of the island – need a good coffee place. In Oceanview – right next to Tuckahoe Brewing
- 6th Street Beach Yoga – Monday Mornings from 8:00 — 9:00 am – it is FREE (they offer Pilates on Wed and low impact on Fridays). This is offered by the OCNJ Aquatic & Fitness Center
- White House Sub Shop – Atlantic City – the best hoagies! Last year, my Mom and I were the first ones in line after an overnight at the Borgata.
- Jon and Patty’s – cute littel bistro in OCNJ – have enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner!
- Busch’s Seafood – She Crab Soup – no longer the big restaurant but you get get the soup in the lounge or as take out.
I’m sure I missed some of my favorite spaces and places – I reserve the right to update this post! And for the record – I didn’t get to all of these restaurants this vacation!! 🙂 Did I miss any of your favorites I should try next year?