Good morning! Taking a vacation day today to catch up on some things at home (like cleaning – yuck) since I’ve been traveling so much for work. I’ll do another post at a later time on my whirlwind travel.
I’d thought I’d take a break from cleaning (which honestly I haven’t done much yet) and give you an update on my Half Marathon Training. First off I can’t believe I’m halfway through the training. We are in week 5 – 5 more weeks to go until the BIG DAY – March 29th – The Philly Love Run!
In 5 weeks I’ve accomplished the following:
- Completed my first 5K – using my Run/Walk cadence (2 mins running / 1:15 walking). I’ve done many 5Ks – but it has always been walking. And this 5K gave me a dose of hills – wow!
- I’ve completed the following Sunday (sometimes into Monday) Runs – 6, 8 and 9 miles – I only missed the 7 miles because I hadn’t joined a gym and it was bitter cold out. Each week is 1 mile more and each week an achievement for me as my longest run!
- I’ve spent a small fortune in outdoor running apparel! 🙂
But even more importantly I’ve learned the following about myself:
- I actually enjoy the 2 – 3 mile run / walks – For those who know me – shocking I know!
- This whole 13.1 Miles still scares the crap out of me – but that is OK – Challenges should – I’ve been in my comfort zone for a long time (in many aspects of my life).
- Once I give myself a pep talk and actually start running – I’m good.
- After my 9 miles this past Sunday – I was wiped out and a bit sore – I listened to my body and took 2 days off. I so needed it and the rest really helped me do well on my hills on Wednesday.
- Making myself a priority – committing to getting my training runs and other training in during the week is just as important as the Sunday long runs.
- I enjoy running by myself. I know many like running with someone. I love the solitude. I spend so much time on the phone with work this is my time to enjoy the scenery and let myself worry about one thing – am I running or walking!
- I’m sure there will be many more as I continue this journey.
I’ll leave you with this song from my playlist – the timing is perfect when I’m halfway through my miles for the day – gives me that extra push! 🙂